FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Nov 7, 2005

Fast and Cheap

Well, all my little babies...I've got a deadline this week so my bloggin' be light.

Perhaps you'll forgive me if I tell you that I need to get stuff done for my upcoming appearance here. That's right, folks, I'll be frontin' and maxin' at Dark Xmas in Warren, OH this weekend, bustin' some moves with my pal Aaron Weisbrod (he of the critically acclaimed Nightmare World comics)...there's gonna be lots of other great guests, too, so if you're in the area, stop by and see us. I promise not to drop any lame-ass hip-hop lingo. I've never done a horror con before, so it's all terribly exciting and I'm simply all a-twitter. Squeee!

In other news, gettin' the remake treatment is one of my favorite horror movies, George Romero's Day of the Dead. My head almost caught on fire upon hearing the news, but perhaps all is not lost. It's going to be directed by Steve Miner, the man at the helm of Friday the 13th Part 2 and Halloween H2O. His words in this article at fangoria.com gave me some hope:
"I’m sworn to secrecy on specifics, but this won’t just be a rehash of an old film,” he continues. “I’m a huge fan of George Romero and I wouldn’t insult his work by just copying his movie with a WB-friendly cast. But I can tell you this: There will be a military facility with soldiers, scientists and civilians, there will be a Bub and yes, there will be blood—lots of it. Like the original, this DAY will be rated R.".
Ahhhh. This old cynic's heart fills with joy at the prospect. This old cynic's mind thinks perhaps Mr. Miner will bring something fresh to the remake, to make it worthwhile. This old cynic's fervent wish is for Mr. Miner to coax Amy Steel into appearing in another one of his films. Like this old cynic's old cynical grandmother says, however, you can "wish in one hand and shit in the other".

Tune in tomorrow for more exciting adventures of This Old Cynic.

5 comments:

John Barleycorn said...

I'm love Amy Steel.

"Day of the Dead" is my least favorite "Dead" film. Maybe the remake will be good. I liked the "Dawn" remake ... I think it stands closely with its original, except for lack of social commentary. But the special effects were too awesome to deny.

Marty McKee said...

Well, get cynical again, because, as every good horror fan worth his or her salt should know, the original DAY OF THE DEAD was NOT rated R. It went out in all its unrated, gut-wrenching glory. So what Miner boasts as an attribute of his remake is actually a detriment. Way to show your ignorance, Steve.

John Barleycorn said...

I find it hard to believe the original film hit theatres without a rating. Usually films of that caliber don't hit theatres at all, in which case "Day" goes right where it belongs: the Straight-To-Video Dumpster.

Marty McKee said...

There was no real straight-to-video market in 1985.

"Films of that caliber"? What does that mean?

John Barleycorn said...

It means unrated films.