FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jul 13, 2007

from Christopher Bennett

The Top 13 Things That Come to Mind When I Think of the Friday the 13th Movies

It’s Friday the 13th. You all know that. And I wanted to do
something special to celebrate it. By ‘something special’ I mean
watch the movie series. Again. It seems that’s all my unmotivated,
unimaginative brain can muster every Friday the 13th. But this time
is different. I was challenged to take part in THE “Friday The 13th
Blog-a-thon” (for the uninitiated, try to make finalgirl.blogspot.com
a regular part of your information/entertainment diet). I’m not
saying that watching the F13 movie series on this every-so-often
pseudo holiday is a bad way to celebrate. Quite the opposite. I just
need some inspiration from time to time.

Now, in front of you is a list. I know, I know. You’ve already
looked ahead and you’ve noticed that this list has 13 entries. 13 of
them! You're thinking, "Chris That's just plain crazy!" But, this
being a special day and all I’ve decided to pull out all the stops.
This list contains the first 13 things that come to mind when I think
of the Friday the 13th movies. The entries are in no particular
order. I hope you enjoy this very special ‘Top 13 Things That Come To
Mind When I Think Of The Friday The 13th Movies.’

1. Near the end of “Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood” when
Dr. Crews and Mrs. Shepherd are looking for Tina, Mrs. Shepherd is
yelling “Tina! Tina!” I always wanted to tell her to stop, because
what a terrible sound she makes.

2. Grown-up Tommy Jarvis is some sort of kung Fu champion. He
really knows how to mix it up in “Friday the 13th Part V: A New
Beginning.” I’m always impressed.

3. During most of the 90’s I worked at a summer camp in Maine.
There was a “haunted camp” a few miles away through the woods. At
night we would go there and try to scare each other, of course
inspired by the Friday movies.

4. I always laugh at the end of “Friday the 13th Part 2” when
Paul and Ginny take off Jason’s mask and look at his face. After
being shocked at Jason’s deformities, Paul says “Jesus…” I always try
to picture it like a Scooby-Doo ending and when they unmask the killer
Paul says that because he thinks the killer WAS Jesus.

5. In “Friday the 13th” Annie is talking to you-know-who. “I
guess I always wanted to work with children. I hate when people call
them kids. Sounds like little goats. But when you’ve had a dream as
long as I have, you’ll do anything.” What the crap is she talking
about?! And what does she mean by ‘anything?’

6. The banana eating hitchhiker in “Friday the 13th: The Final
Chapter” is one of my favorite characters in any of the movies. And
her premeditated reaction to the insults she knows she’s going to get
from people is awesome.

7. I bet being picked up and slammed against a tree while in a
sleeping bag would really suck. So, I hope that never happens to me.

8. Once, my friend and I watched all the Friday movies and wrote
down a list of the ways everyone died. Man, after all these years I
still can’t figure out why we thought that was a good idea.

9. Crispin Glover is a wacky dancer. Is that the way he dances
in real life?

10. When I was 13 years old, my friends and I decided that we
looked old enough to get in to see “Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason
Takes Manhattan“ in theaters. The plan was to tell our parents that
we were going to see “Weekend at Bernie’s.” Apparently, we forgot to
take into account the ticket booth guy’s common sense, because he
busted us. And because we got a ride to the theater and were stranded
there for the duration, we decided to go see “Weekend at Bernie’s.”

11. Another stupid conversation, this time from “Friday the 13th
Part 3.” Rick is talking to Chrissy as he’s putting bails of hay in
the barn. “I realize I’m just a dumb country boy and my feeling
really don’t matter, but this is the sweat of a worker on my forehead,
not of a lover. Now, I believe that there is a time and a place for
everything. And now’s the time, and now’s the place, if you know what
I mean.” No, Rick I don’t know what you mean. Who wrote your crappy
dialog?!

12. For whatever reason, “Friday the 13th Part 3” is a perfect
Halloween movie for me. I watch it every year.

13. At the beginning of “Friday the 13th Part 3” Harold walks
toward his house and accidentally knocks over a stick holding up the
laundry line. His wife immediately yells out the window at him, “God
damn it Harold! I spent all day yesterday washing your clothes. Look
what you’re doing to them. You know I work very hard around here
trying to keep up with you and all your sloppy habits. And I get no
help from you at all!” It’s just funny to me how quickly she is on
this poor guy.

Enjoy your Friday the 13th. I’m going now to watch the movies. Again.

4 comments:

Chadzilla said...

The answer to 9 is yes, Crispin Glover danced like that in real life. Those were his honest-to-goodness real life dance moves.

Chadzilla said...

Oh, and thank you Stacie. :)

Michelle Souliere said...

Hullo Stacie! I was attracted to your blog by the mention of the Maine summer camp and its dark neighbor, the "haunted camp." :) Besides a general love of the Friday the 13th movies, of course.

I don't suppose you'd like to elaborate on the tales of this place? I'm a sucker for a good campfire story...

*grin*

Rufus said...

5. And Annie had just talked about cooking for 50 kids! Oy! That always bugs me! Maybe the point of all that dialogue was that Annie was a bit touched in the head...