FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Feb 27, 2009

Fango contest! Film Club pick! Fridays rule!

Yes, you read that headline right! I've got all sorts of goodies for you today. So why don't I just shut up and get to 'em already?

First up: I've got 4 day passes to Fangoria's Chicago stop on their Weekend of Horror tour! 4 passes to give away! In a giveaway contest! The show is coming up fast (March 6-9) so enter now by dropping me a line:

Send an email to stacieponder at gmail dot com with "FANGO" in the subject line by...mmm, 2pm (PST) on Monday, March 2. I'll draw winner names that day- they'll be drawn randomly, so butt-kissing won't get you anywhere.

Of course, that doesn't mean that butt-kissing isn't welcome.

The guest list is SA-WEET- Lamberto Bava! Ruggero Deodato! Marilyn Burns! Alan Rowe Kelly! Don't be a jerk...enter NOW!

Nextly, this recent discussion of Ye Olde Timey Slasher Movies can mean only one thing: it's Film Club pickin' time! And I'm pickin'...

Fulci, baby, and his 1981 goresterpiece (I don't know what that means) The Beyond. Boing!

The film has been recently released in a super-fancy-pants edition but it's not on Netflix's current rotation, so you "everything has to come to me or I won't do it" types may have to rethink your strategy. Or not. I guess it depends how cool you want to be. Or not be. Whatevs.

Prepare to have your mind warped!

The film: The Beyond
The due date: Monday, March 30

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Free things are cool, but Chicago's a 12-hour drive for me. Not exactly day-trip distance, in other words. Good luck to everyone else, though!

As far as The Beyond goes, I've been spending a lot of cash on horror-related doohickeys and whozeewhatsits lately, but I'll see what I can scare up. See what I did there? Har har.

Anonymous said...

Cool. I love "puoalu rsviish".

Elwood Jones said...

Darn it another great Convention Stateside and here's me too broke to scrape together airfair. Fangoria always put on a good weekender so I can highly recommend going to anyone thinking about it.

"The Beyond" is available in the UK through Lovefilm.com and you can pick up a copy via the usual sources pretty cheap, so you can count me in for this months film club.

Stacie Ponder said...

Yeah, just to clarify...I only meant that there's a new edition of The Beyond out there, not necessarily that that's the one peeps should watch. Any old version will do- VHS, whatevs!

Anonymous said...

There's buttloads of THE SEVEN DOORS OF DEATH version floating around for like a buck, maybe a couple of clams.

Anonymous said...

don't waste your time with the 'seven doors of death' versions (like on TGG) they are horribly edited and practically a different movie.

the old anchor bay or new grindhouse are the only way to take in fulci's hallucinatory masterpiece.

spazmo said...

"The Beyond" is a magnificent choice.

It's one of those movies that you're dying to dissect with genre fans afterwards because its overall effect is so randomly subjective and schizophrenic.

Plus, I've only seen it once, unlike Zombi, Gates of Hell, and House by the Cemetery. Those movies have always been widely available on tape, but The Beyond was virtually impossible to track down. It's one of the films that helped justify the purchase of my first DVD player!

Anonymous said...

Damn, wish I was able to take off for a weekend in Chicago.
Well, if I can't do that I can at least watch The Beyond!

Anonymous said...

Damn, wish I was able to take off for a weekend in Chicago.
Well, if I can't do that I can at least watch The Beyond!

Anonymous said...

The Diamond version of Seven Doors seems uncut, just not framed properly and the transfer is not as good. The 80's vhs Seven Doors is cut. I think both have different bits of music.

Anonymous said...

I had to hit my friend up for his copy and the run time was 87 mins. Not sure what version that was but it didn't seem cut at all.
I've really gotta find more of Lucio Fulci's work, I've only seen Zombie but there's so much more I must be missing out on. Any recommendations?

Craig Blamer said...

That's a pretty impressive lineup for the Fango event. Too bad I don't have the lifestyle going on that would let me drop in.

The Igloo Keeper said...

Legally, of course, if there's no skill involved it's a prize draw rather than a competition. But what do I know? I have no nose.

Stacie Ponder said...

Who called it a competition? I probably should have gone with "sweepstakes", because it's so fabulously '70s sounding, but that implies confetti and I'm not in the mood for confetti.

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* The Beyond! Awesome pick. So much eye-stabbing goodness. (Though I guess it's Fulci, so that kinda goes without saying.)

Bloody Mary said...

For Will, and whoever else is interested, the mail-lady just brought the new Grindhouse DVD release to my door and it's 89 minutes - you're missing two minutes of something!

deadlydolls said...

Yay for really slow moving fuzzy tarantulas and ugly red-headed little girls! I haven't watched this one in a while, but now I have an excuse to try yet again to figure out what the hell is going on.