FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Feb 16, 2009

"Then he's still out there..."

Apparently Friday the 13th cleaned up at the box office, raking in more than $40 million over the weekend. If you added your hard-earned dollars to that total and you'd like to weigh in with your thoughts, well, here's a place to do it. Lots of opinions flying around. While everyone who disagrees with me about the film is obviously WRONG, I welcome your comments anyway.

Oh, and I don't mean to imply that only people who spent hard-earned dollars on F13 should chime in. Those of you who found a ten spot as well as those of you who sat on the sidewalk with a sign reading "Why lie? I want to see Friday the 13th" until you collected enough dimes to buy a ticket can play, too.

But Jason is so...so...three days ago, isn't he? Let's remain on the cutting edge and move on to the next wackadoo in the slasher cycle- Michael Myers! Yes, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is still going to happen, and here's the teaser poster to prove it:

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Stacie, you must be wrong. Rob Zombie can't be making Halloween 2. Why, I remember reading right here at Final Girl that he wouldn't do it! Let's see...what did he say? Oh yeah...
I'm done. I did what I wanted to do, I came in and I made a movie that I thought was a self-contained film and now I'm walking away.
So see? Why are you lying, Stacie? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?"

Dude, it's neither. He said that, and now he's making the movie. However, we should take into consideration that before he made Halloween, he also said (regarding remakes):
Those movies are perfect- you're only going to make yourself look like an asshole by remaking them.
I guess the lesson here is...well, I'm not sure exactly. Money is awesome, maybe? Never say never? Stop, drop, and roll? Eh. I can't say that I'm at all excited about H2, and let's just leave it at that.

However, you know what I am excited about? This teaser trailer for [REC]2.



I know the original film has its detractors...however, I ate that shit up and I'm ready for more. This embedding might not work; if not, follow this link to Shock Till You Drop to check it out.

In other sequel news, I guess there's stuff floating around in cyberspace related to The Descent 2. I'm ignoring all of it- no pictures, no interviews, no trailers, NADA. I want to go into that one knowing only that it exists. I don't even know when it's coming out. How's that for being an ignoramus?

So many of you answered this call for movie posters, thank you! You guys are "mad awesome" as the kids say. Alright, so no kid talks like that. The point is, they're swell and I'll be posting them this Friday. I know I said that I'd post them last week, but 1) I wanted to give Jason his day to shine all alone, and 2) I'm a liar.


One last thing: I got nominated for a fucking RONDO! I can't believe it. Seriously, I can not believe it...and man, I'm in some wicked esteemed company. Head here to vote- you can do so until March 21. Now I know what they mean by "it's an honor just to be nominated". I also know what they mean by the "Boltzmann Brain Theory", because I looked it up.

Hooray for everything!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

F13 was great. The plot didn't make sense, the characters did things that were illogical. In other words, it was a real Friday the 13th movie! High body count, naked girls, what do you want?

Wings1295 said...

Yah, can't say I am at all excited about Zombie and H2, either. Meh...

Glad F13 did so good, however, as it just means MORE of my man Jason on the big screen in the future. Always good, even if the movies are... what they are.

Looking forward to The Descent 2, and I usually do the same with anything I am really psyched about - avoid any and all spoilers, news, etc. about them, so I can go in with a fresh mind. Did it was F13 and will do it again and again. I DON'T WANT to know everything about a movie BEFORE I see it. (sorry for yellin')

Love your posts, btw, always good reads.

Verdant Earl said...

First off, how cool is it that a horror film maker has a name like Rob Zombie? Would have been better if he was born with it, but I will take what I can get.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Halloween 2. Zombie (hehe) included all the backstory nonsense in the first film (which really slowed it down), so this one should be pure carnage.

I really love the word "carnage".

FatalPierce said...

"but 1) I wanted to give Jason his day to shine all alone, and 2) I'm a liar."

Oh man, I can't believe you went all Rob Zombie on us with the untruth!

On the F13 front I still have nae seen it, but with all the talk I'm kind of teetering on wanting to go just so I can rightfully express my outrage...If I do that I'll have to rent Zombie's Halloween so I can do the same.

...I hate feeling left out!

Anonymous said...

It looks like the poster for H2 is going to evolve over time into an unmasked image. Which makes me wonder if Zombie's going to go way outside the lines of the original series and give us an unmasked Michael for more than a scant few seconds.

As for Friday the 13th: you know how I feel about that. I plan on seeing it again next weekend with the wife in tow, as well.

P. K. Nail said...

I feel about F13 the way I felt about the Texas Chainsaw remake - fairly entertained, but more annoyed that the filmmakers don't seem to give a damn about the franchise in the first place. I remember being STUNNED at Michael Bay (or maybe someone else) saying that they wanted to make the new Chainsaw "less gory" than the original - to which I could only surmise that either a) it was going to be a G-rated horror film, or b) he had never seen the original and was talking out of his ass. Obviously the answer was b.

Probably the most frustrating thing to me about the new F13 was coming out of the theater and hearing some girl say she'd never been so scared in her life and that she "was totally not expecting" what happened at the end. A clear case of never having seen the original, and in my opinion, superior and way scarier, 1980 ending. Just, dude. It's like when you hear a remake of a song you loved from the 70s or 80s and all the young kiddoes love the new version and think it's the only version that exists.

Whippersnappers. *shakes head*

I'm cautiously optimistic about H2. Seeing as how I despised House of 1000 Corpses and loved The Devil's Rejects, history seems to indicate that second time's a charm for Zombie.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, too much info for my tiny Zombie brain! HAHA! See what I did there? Ok, never mind.

Anyway, I'm still down for seeing the new Friday the 13th coz no matter how bad it might be I still wanna see how Jason looks.

I have yet to watch Rob Zombie's Halloween except for the workprint version since I had heard it was so different from the final cut. Way too much backstory that I didn't care about in that one.

Totally psyched for [REC] 2. I loved the first one and that jump scare towards the end made my buddy literally fall out of his chair. I laughed my ass off! Great, great movie!

Anonymous said...

Cant wait for [REC]2, loved the original and I need the sequel to wash away that rancid taste in my mouth named Friday the 13th.

Joshua said...

I must point out that I work at a movie theater and didn't pay even a dime to see F13th! Yesss, it felt good.

Also, we have that poster up for H2 in my theater already, my heart breaks every time I walk past it...

Anonymous said...

I made the mistake of watching a Descent 2 trailer (that I can no longer find?), and I am endlessly disillusioned. Avoid it at all costs.

Scott Weinberg said...

Zombie is as poor a filmmaker as he is an excellent hypocrite.

Zing.