FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Sep 30, 2009

a moment of not horror

I've really been looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are (maybe not nearly as much as Mr. New Plaid Pants), although the book wasn't a massive integral part of my childhood. I don't know why, it just...wasn't. Maybe I was too old when I discovered it, or maybe it simply didn't resonate with me; whatever the case, I certainly have always had an appreciation of it, particularly Maurice Sendak's wonderful art.

Because of my disassociation from it, I don't have that "You're raping my childhood!" feeling that perhaps some of you have regarding Spike Jonze's efforts, or, alternately, "I can't wait to see my most favoritest book ever come to life!". No, I simply think it looks beautiful, engaging, and that it might be- don't laugh- a bit of movie magic. I mean, surely you've seen the trailer by now if it doesn't affect you somehow, you're probably an evil robot and I may have to report you to Bruce Willis or Harrison Ford.

The nail in the coffin labeled "Okay, I really can't wait for this movie!" was hammered into place today when I found out that the Wild Things soundtrack is by none other than Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It's streaming right here for your listening pleasure. I've officially got my anticipants on!

6 comments:

Jason Adams said...

Be glad you have not descended unto my level of lunacy, Miss Ponder! There is no return from here. We all float down here! Okay not really, but we do skitter like roaches whenever the light is turned on. And smell vaguely like moist cardboard.

I downloaded - through entirely legal means, of course! - the soundtrack the other day and it's been pretty much on repeat since. Karen O is one fierce lady.

RATSAWGOD said...

I think the movie will be one of my favorites of all time. The trailer just sends me. It's perfection. I especially love the organic quality the photography has. Spike Jones rules my art-verse.

Hey! Look Behind You! said...

I went to a screening last night, and the it was utterly amazing. I can say it's film like this that makes me love movies more than any other art form.

Anonymous said...

I second everything you said.
I weep openly when I view these trailers.

Ashlee Blackwell said...

Ditto on everything you said.

Do I get points from being in a summer stage production of Really Rosie?

Sad man said...

it's funny because I just uploaded the trailer last night on my facebook page. I think it looks absolutely beautiful and I love the director and Catherine Keener.