FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Oct 26, 2010

SHOCKtober: 107-83



SHOCKtober is about to get real, y'all, as we enter the magical realm of double digits. The 1990s are making a stronger showing than I expected- I tend to think of the '90s as a horror wasteland. Shows what I know, which is squat.

The following films received NINE VOTES each:

107. Dracula -- 1992, Francis Ford Coppola
106. Jacob's Ladder -- 1990, Adrian Lyne
105. From Dusk Till Dawn -- 1996, Robert Rodriguez
104. American Psycho -- 2000, Mary Harron
103. Dellamorte Dellamore -- 1994, Michele Soavi
102. Drag Me to Hell -- 2009, Sam Raimi
101. Repulsion -- 1965, Roman Polanski

The following films received TEN VOTES each:

100. The Lost Boys -- 1987, Joel Schumacher
99. Ju-on -- 2002, Takashi Shimizu
98. The Changeling -- 1980, Peter Medak
97. The Hills Have Eyes -- 1977, Wes Craven
96. The Wolf Man -- 1941, George Waggner
95. In the Mouth of Madness -- 1995, John Carpenter
94. Tenebre -- 1982, Dario Argento
93. April Fools Day -- 1986, Fred Walton
92. Freaks -- 1932, Tod Browning
91. Frankenstein -- 1931, James Whale
90. Halloween II -- 1981, Rick Rosenthal
89. Aliens -- 1986, James Cameron
88. House of 1000 Corpses -- 2003, Rob Zombie
87. Event Horizon -- 1997, Paul W.S. Anderson
86. Last House on the Left -- 1972, Wes Craven
85. Seven -- 1995, David Fincher

The following films received ELEVEN VOTES each:

84. Night of the Creeps -- 1986, Fred Dekker
83. Let's Scare Jessica to Death -- 1971, John D. Hancock


  • I will use any excuse- ANY I SAY-to post this picture of The Ju-on Five.
  • Oh, how I love April Fools Day and Drag Me to Hell. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • I think In the Mouth of Madness is a pretty great movie, and it's perhaps the last great movie John Carpenter made. FOR NOW. Who knows what the future holds? Not I. Not you, probably...I mean, you could be Miss Cleo or Micki Dahne for all I know (which, I remind you, is squat).
  • A friend of mine once called In the Mouth of Madness "Mouthful of Madness", which is really the best malapropism since another friend of mine called The Life of Brian "The Living Brain".
  • My relationship with Halloween II remains on-again/off-again. Sometimes I think it's lame, sometimes I think it's one of my favorite horror movies. I can't explain this, and I expect that my brain parts will only reach a consensus upon my death. Will I die loving it or loathing it? I'm so excited to find out!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Mouthful of Madness made me cover the monitor in coffee. That is to say I spit it out. I usually don't lose control of hands and douse electronics in hot beverages.

I tried re-watching Dracula again last week. I couldn't make it past Keanu's first scene. And I'm not a Keanu hater.

Verdant Earl said...

Oooh, I probably should have included Freaks. That's a good one!

iasa said...

I've always been afraid to watch Last House on the Left. What do you think guys, should I give it a go?

TheKungFuProfessor said...

Your relationship with Halloween II is similar to mine with the first Hellraiser, I put it down on my list but having watched it last night I'm not sure why. I'll probably love it again in a few months.

Night of the Creeps on the other hand is one film I love all the time, my list would be so different now after being reminded of all the other films I could have picked.

Maynard Morrissey said...

the last great Carpenter movie??? seems like you haven't seen "Vampires" yet...

Tracy said...

From Dusk Till Dawn is one of mine...only the second so far.

I love Night of the Creeps.

The Scream Queen said...

Yay for the House of 1000 Corpses love....I honestly thought I was going to be the only one to vote for that.

I LOVE From Dusk Til Dawn. It was one of the first movies I wrote down for the Top 20. Whenever I tell people it's a favorite, they're always like, "huh?"

Sandisan said...

Oh, Repulsion...how you...repulse me. I saw it once about 20 years ago and I can't even look at the title without shivering and wanting my blankie. If I had a list of horror movies that I NEVER want to see again, that one would be at the top of the list.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps? No, it was the last great Carpenter movie for the time being. (Sorry, but I feel like Vampire represents a slide into decline that leads to the Ghosts of Mars. There are certainly some fun ideas in Vampires...but I can't consider it great).

Pokemon Postmon said...

Im my recent binge of zombie movies (35 of the rotters since the begining of the month!), I watched 'Dellamorte Dellamore' and struggled to stay awake! I think Rupert Everett was a bad choice for the lead IMO. However, 'Night of the Creeps' I lapped up like a really thirsty lappy thing!

Andreas said...

10 votes for Freaks! Yeah! One of us, indeed.

Nice showings for The Changeling and The Wolf Man - and Repulsion, which wasn't on my list, but should've.

"I must get this crack mended..."

michael said...

I bought In the Mouth of Madness to start getting into later Carpenter. After watching it I didn't go any further.

I like the showing 1986 got here. I saw a double feature of Aliens and Cronenberg's The Fly in '86. Best double feature ever!

AE said...

@iasa: I was also afraid to watch Last House on the Left for many years. A few months ago I locked the doors, made a nice cup of tea and gave it a go, and I really enjoyed it. Some bits are hard to watch, but the look of the thing is so beautiful, you just shouldn't miss it.

Nice to see Repulsion this high up. Hooray for rabbits!

David Robson, Proprietor, House of Sparrows said...

So eager to know if number 1 on this list will be a tie? WHOSE HORROR SHALL REIGN SUPREME?

sandisan - many years ago when I was stuck in my apartment during a long blizzard, I pulled out a VHS tape of things I'd recorded off cable in the previous year. "Great," I thought, "I can finally watch REPULSION for the first time." You can imagine how that screening went.

dementia13 said...

OMG, Repulsion, I didn't even think about listing that.

Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" MoH episode was pretty strong, so I'd guess he's still got some life in him. To hear him talk, getting funding for his projects has been a chronic problem.

goblin said...

Oh man, how could I possibly forget about 'Seven'? How?? I could slap myself silly for not putting it on my list!

On a more positive note, it's nice to see that 'In the Mouth of Madness' got so many votes. I expected it to receive two, maybe three votes at best, so ten is a pleasent surprise. I also agree on it being John Carpenter's last great film (to date).