FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Oct 9, 2010

SHOCKtober: 532-508



GUESS WHAT. Each of these films is the favorite of ONE person. Although, I suppose there could be more people out there in the world who consider these movies to be favorites, but they didn't send their lists to me. So who cares what they think, ammiright?

532. Evil Dead Trap -- 1988, Toshiharu Ikeda
531. Veneno Para Las Hadas -- 1984, Carlos Enrique Taboada
530. Last House on Dead End Street -- 1977, Roger Watkins
529. Deep Rising -- 1998, Stephen Sommers
528. Creepshow 2 -- 1987, Michael Gornick
527. Feast II: Sloppy Seconds -- 2008, John Gulager
526. ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction -- 2009, Kevin Hamedani
525. Alien 3 -- 1992, David Fincher
524. Play Misty for Me -- 1971, Clint Eastwood
523. Rodan -- 1956, Ishiro Honda
522. The Food of the Gods -- 1976, Bert I. Gordon
521. The Crazies -- 1973, George Romero
520. The Devil's Hand -- 1962, William J. Hole, Jr.
519. American Gothic -- 1987, John Hough
518. Wolf -- 1994, Mike Nichols
517. With a Friend Like Harry -- 2000, Dominik Moll
516. The Spiral Staircase -- 1945, Robert Siodmak
515. They Live -- 1988, John Carpenter
514. Dumplings -- 2004, Fruit Chan
513. Dracula 2000 -- 2000, Patrick Lussier
512. Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein -- 1948, Charles Barton
511. Die, Monster, Die! -- 1965, Daniel Haller
510. Wolfen -- 1981, Michael Wadleigh
509. Brides of Blood -- 1968, Gerardo de Leon & Eddie Romero
508. The Abominable Snowman -- 1957, Val Guest

This poster is so cool.

17 comments:

Thomas Duke said...

When I saw the listing WITH A FRIEND LIKE HARRY, I pictured WHAT ABOUT BOB? in my head (w/ Bill Murray), and thought it was pretty damn funny that someone picked WHAT ABOUT BOB? as one of their favorite horror films. Then I realized my mistake, and I laughed at what a big dummy I am. I've seen HARRY btw, and it's a pretty good Polanski-esque thriller, so that's no slight against it.

I'm slightly surprised no one else picked LHODES, but I guess a lot of people think more sleazy than horrific.

originalslugboy said...

I considered voting for A&C meet Frankenstein, but then I noticed I'd procrastinated past the deadline, and couldn't send out my list if I'd even finished making it.

Hunh. You're right. I don't care what I think.

michael said...

Is this the first appearance of Carpenter? Didn't expect it to be They Live, which deserved more. Except I didn't vote for it so it's all my fault.

Anonymous said...

A couple of these are mine but 'Abominable Snowman' is the real comfort food choice. Some great verbal sparring between Cushing and Tucker and when that giant Yeti claw pokes out from underneath the tent, well...let's just say there wasn't enough beanbag chair to hide under.

Anonymous said...

Yay to Evil Dead Trap. Worth watching.

stonerphonic said...

yes Stacie, you are. what i think or feel is a totally non-plussed affair. altho if poked hard enuff, Feast II: Sloppy Seconds would have been waaaaaaay up there. it's the chinese woman geting launched that did it for me.

nice...

Pokemon Postmon said...

I've still yet to see anything I've voted for but I'm seeing lots I should have voted for!!! Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I dunno?!
Anyway, thumbs up for your commitment (not the white coat variety) in compiling this semi- random list of peoples' screaming meemies. :D

Pokemon Postmon said...

Oh, and 'Evil Dead Trap' is a sound entry (that escaped me at the time!). If it wasn't for the subtitles and Asian cast, I would have sworn it was an old Italian movie....

dementia13 said...

I love They Live, too, but I didn't vote for it because I consider it much more sci-fi than horror. As tough as it is to get a list down to 20, it takes being selective. I'd put The Crazies, Lifeforce, and Quartermass and the Pit all in that same bag of movies that I love, and that have a horror element, but that I wouldn't put on a horror list. Not that I would criticize anyone else for naming them, I'm glad they got a shout-out. Brides of Blood is another one I forgot, or maybe would have put in at 21 or 22. It's way better than it has any right to be, although its sequels are among the worst movies I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Alright, Wolfen was another one of mine. And if it's fallen off your radar for a while, give it another view. It's got a smart script, a solid cast of pros (plus Diane Venora, Rowwr!) and the best monster-cam ever. Plus, it utilizes one of my favorite story devices, POLICE PROCEDURE! Just picture the luggage searching scene from Bullitt and add throat-ripping wolves. It's also a little sobering to think that the South Bronx was actually that bad in the late 70s early 80s.

Anonymous said...

As much as I love the Sommersverse, "Deep Rising" would've been better if the plot was different after the first five minutes...

Joel said...

As glad I am to see Alien 3 up there (I've always thought of it as underrated), upon watching it again last night I couldn't help but feel it more lacking than ever. CGI really fucked up the scariness of the alien, for shame. :(
Sigourney still rocks everybodys socks though!

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

They Live is more like science fiction with horrific elements, but I would still place it in the horror category just for that reason.

Banned In Queensland said...

You've gotta love the way half of the female cast is topless, in Feast II, for no real reason. I mean, if you like boobs, you've gotta.

John Weddell said...

Wolfen makes an appearance! I regret that I didn't vote for it. Sorry, Albert Finney's hair. Really underrated movie though, with some fantastic gore and amazing photography.

Anonymous said...

YES! I am the one person who loves Dracula 2000! I take this as a badge of honour! YEAH HONOUR WITH A "U". GO CANADA!

-Heather

Stacie Ponder said...

Awesome. :D