FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Oct 8, 2010

SHOCKtober: 557-533



You know the drill- these movies received ONE VOTE each. Someday we'll get to the more than one movies, I swear!

557. The Yellow Sign -- 2001, Aaron Vanek
556. I Was a Teenage Frankenstein -- 1957, Herbert L. Strock
555. Zombie Diaries -- 2006, Michael Bartlett & Kevin Gates
554. Revenge of Frankenstein -- 1958, Terence Fisher
553. Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People -- 1963, Ishiro Honda
552. Man Bites Dog -- 1992, Remy Belvaux, Andre Bonzel, Benoit Poelvoorde
551. Anguish -- 1987, Bigas Luna
550. Children of the Corn -- 1984, Fritz Kiersch
549. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage -- 1970, Dario Argento
548. Quatermass and the Pit -- 1967, Roy Ward Baker
547. Planet of the Apes -- 1968, Franklin J. Schaffner
546. Phantom of the Opera -- 1998, Dario Argento
545. Hannibal -- 2001, Ridley Scott
544. Cat People -- 1982, Paul Schrader
543. Chopping Mall -- 1986, Jim Wynorski
542. Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland -- 1990, Michael A. Simpson
541. Jaws: The Revenge -- 1987, Joseph Sargeant
540. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man -- 1943, Roy William Neill
539. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde -- 1920, John S. Robertson
538. Deadly Friend -- 1986, Wes Craven
537. Train -- 2008, Gideon Raff
536. Dr. Giggles -- 1992, Manny Coto
535. Mirror Mirror -- 1990, Marina Sargenti
534. Shocker -- 1989, Wes Craven
533. District 9 -- 2003, Neill Blomkamp
  • I've seen many of these, but I haven't reviewed any. How lame.
  • Two from Argento, two from Craven. Dunno, thought I'd point it out.
  • I don't know who these so-called "Mushroom People" are, but I think I'd like to get to know them.
  • Mirror Mirror has been on my "must watch" list for some time now...perhaps one day, if I hope hard enough, I'll make the leap from dreams to reality.
  • Deadly Friend was my jam back in the day! I fucking loved that movie. Haven't seen it in forever...doesn't Anne Ramsey get her head blown off with a basketball in it?

26 comments:

David Robson, Proprietor, House of Sparrows said...

Anguish is fucking awesome. I don't know why I didn't vote for it. But I'm glad someone did.

Moorhead said...

I would love to read what you have to say about Children of the Corn. That movie does swing pretty wildly from terrible to amazing.

spazmo said...

I can't believe you haven't met the Mushroom People yet - they're wonderful folks. Do remember to invite them to your next mixer, Stacie

Just...y'know, try not to stare.

Anonymous said...

I was really stressing about whether to vote for Matango. Glad someone did. Even though it doesn't involve two dinosaurs knocking each other into office buildings, it's just one example of how masterful Honda can be when he scales it down to human size (the H-man would be another.) His use of color to shock is every bit as effective as Suspiria.

Smogo said...

Two from Argento, two from Craven.... and two with Anne Ramsey (yes, including the one where she awesomely gets her awesomely head awesomely blown awesomely apart by a basketball. Does anything else good actually happen in that film?).

Stacie Ponder said...

Wait, what else is Anne Ramsey in? I seriously was into Deadly Friend. That shit is just so poignant when you're a teenage girl! :D Wonder how it holds up, if at all...

MAR said...

Whoever chose Dr. Giggles is probably my soulmate.

Andreas said...

Some very nice choices on here. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, Quatermass and the Pit, and most of all: CHOPPING MALL!

Seriously, CHOPPING MALL! How could any movie that's all about Killbots - and has an opening scene cameo by Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov - NOT be just awesome? Kudos to whoever voted it.

Andrew said...

I think Smogo may have been mis-remembering Anne Ramsey, instead of Zelda Rubenstein, in Anguish. I can't find anything else on this list that she was in.

Verification: OUSLIO-isn't that an Argento movie?

Second Verification (because I messed up the first one): GOCKBOOD- The leading character in OUSLIO.

bill said...

Matango is great!!!! I love that movie.

AK said...

Deadly Friend ain't as bad as people say (parts of it are kinda sad, for real)and besides it's got Kristy effin' SWANSON in the role she was born to play!
And that French poster for The Other is, like the film itself, the SHIT!

Banned In Queensland said...

My lasting (and only) memory of Deadly Friend, is that it had a really daft ending.

District 9 and the original Planet Of The Apes are brilliant films, but not what I would consider "horror".

Man Bites Dog is one of those notorious films that leaves you wondering what all the fuss was about when you finally catch it.

CashBailey said...

Whoever nominated JAWS THE REVENGE please throw yourself off the nearest high place.

That is the single worst movie of all time.

Stacie Ponder said...

"That is the single worst movie of all time."

Whether or not that's true, it doesn't mean somebody doesn't like it, or it's not one of their favorite horror films. These aren't "nominations" for anything, nor is the list meant to determine the "best" of anything. It's just movies that people really like. Hope that clears it up and there are no more suicide suggestions for...people who like or enjoy things that you don't.

Joel said...

Indeed. I for one am glad I live in a world where someone put Jaws: The Revenge on their list! It's quite the awful gem.

iasa said...

I'd forgotten all about you Chopping Mall, I hope you will forgive me.

It definitely needs a rewatch.

P.Springsteen said...

Whoever picked Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland needs to be run over by a garbage truck...just kidding! I love the Sleepaway camp films.

I bought the butchered UK version 'Nightmare Vacation II' as a kid because of the awesome 'Freddy, Jason & TCMAngela' vhs cover
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/554/nv2u.jpg
that's some false advertising right there but I fell in love with it, I was fucking stoked to finally watch the uncut version some years later.

"Don't forget the hand movements, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm a happy camper, I love the summer sun..."

Nick Mullins said...

For those of you who like Quatermass and the Pit, I recommend the original TV version (1959-60), if you haven't seen it. I think it's far superior to the film version. I like André Morell as Quatermass better than Andrew Keir. And the story is actually creepier, because it unfolds at a slower pace and makes fewer jumps of logic (which may be a funny thing to say about a story about Martian overlords eugenically creating the human race).

Sarah said...

I don't know, Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland was the one where the attempts at comedy actually worked. Sleepaway Camp II however, is terrible.

When I saw The Zombie Diaries on this list, I felt like Tommy Wiseau at the end of The Room: "Everybody betray me, goodbye worold." Okay, not everybody, just one person that I don't know. They betrayed me.

jdigriz said...

Had "Quatermass" on my list at #17, but scratched it out in favor of "Let the Right One In". Saw it as a kid on one of those late Saturday night horror movie programs. Will check out the other version.

Anonymous said...

For some reason I felt the need to see Jaws: The Revenge in a theater when it was released. I guess since I saw a re-release of Jaws as a double feature with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(!?!) and Jaws 2 in the next drive-in over when I wasn't that interested in the movie we were actually there to see and, of course, Jaws 3D in all it's 3D glory I had to complete the tetralogy.

Rik

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Mansquito so far. Disappointing.

Anonymous said...

I, too, saw Jaws the Revenge in the Theater. It was awesome to see Michael Caine in such a goofy movie. :)

kevin said...

Love Deadly Friend, Chopping Mall, and Sleepaway Camp 3. Just Chopping Mall was on my list but I would watch any of these movies again in a second. So much cheesy fun. Though, on a side note, was I the only one who ever got a little teared up at the end of Deadly Friend. I seriously thought that was the saddest thing in the world when I was a kid.

Smogo said...

Wooh, Andrew, well figured out! I did indeed confuse my short, fat wrinkly old lady actresses!

digitaldd said...

Yes finally Some Mirror Mirror love.