FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Aug 14, 2012

some things!

Here is a recent SLASHERS 101 sketch edition sketch, aw yeah! Click that link there if you want to order a copy.


The next installment of the Final Girl Film Club will be #50. 50! Can you dig it? As such, it feels incredibly monumental, or at least mildly noteworthy. The movie choice should reflect this, although I'm not yet sure in what way. Should it be a classic film we've all likely seen before, but perhaps have not talked about? Should it be something called Martyrs that will finally force me to write about Martyrs? Should it be something I've never seen? Should it be a straight-up slasher flick to keep in line with the OG theme of Final Girl? Sigh. So many choices. For the next couple of days, I'm open to suggestions in the comments, so suggest away! But maybe consult the list of past selections first- heck, even just the films I've reviewed in general- so we don't get all redundant up in here.

Film Club Second Chance! Way back when, in the 4th meeting o' the Film Club, I chose a movie that was not readily available at the time: The Initiation. Only two fine people took part! Well, guess what. The Initiation is now on Netflix Instant Watch, so now more people can take part. So, on Monday August 20th (that's this Monday, y'all), I will re-run my original review and add links to anyone who wants to join in. I'll probably watch it again in the interim because I do love that movie. The usual Film Club rules apply:

1. watch the movie
2. link to Final Girl somewhere in your review
3. email me the link: stacieponder at gmail dot com
4. bask in the warm embrace of your fellow Film Clubbers

That's it! If you wrote a review of The Initiation a million years ago and you want to be included, that's fine. Just add the link to Final Girl in there somewhere and send it along.

In case it bears repeating, I need your link by Monday, 8/20.

Some folks have sent me pictures of themselves wearing Final Girl t-shirts, like so:

get this shirt and others right here!

Tickles my fancy, it does. In fact, it got me thinking- back when Wizard Magazine was a thing to read, they would publish photos of fans and celebrities holding a copy of the magazine. Like, if you met Bruce Campbell and you had Wizard with you and you were like "Hey Bruce Campbell, hold this copy of Wizard while we take a picture" and Bruce Campbell was all "Uh, okay", you know?

Well, I think I would like to start a permanent page of people with Final Girl stuff- wearing a t-shirt, someone's cat reading SLASHERS 101, whatever. You don't need a celebrity, because fuck celebrities, right? Except Tom Atkins and Adrienne Barbeau and Tracey Gold. I mean, if you get a Final Girl something-or-other in the vicinity of a celebrity and you snap a pic, that's cool. But I care about you. *tear* I'd rather see you wearing a horror centipede t-shirt on top of Mount Everest. Or at the grocery store, same thing. And if you have a site or work online somewhere or something, I'll link to you. Just email pics to stacieponder (at) gmail.com, or send a link if you've posted 'em somewhere already. Don't be afraid to show your face in the picture! But do not show your genitalia!

17 comments:

Phantasmagoria said...

some suggestions for part 50: Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer[chilling and depressing on a level never surpassed imo, besides that a masterclass in movie making on a budget], one of the early Mondo's [the original Mondo Cane was released 50 years ago, but may not be the ideal example of the genre] or Faces of Death [part 1, influential, ahead of its time as a precursor of the "reality" genre or better yet, the over the top simulation thereof...] or something really oddball like Last House on Dead End Street, Nightmare in a Damaged Brain or Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals...[all 3 pretty bad but interesting in a 'wtf were they thinking' way]

Stacie Ponder said...

To be honest, the more hardcore stuff like that isn't really my bag. Martyrs is kind of the exception to the rule for me.

I have seen Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, though, and I reviewed it! I liked it fairly well, if you can call it "like" :D And I've seen Henry, too, a while ago. I can sort of appreciate it, but it's depressing in a way that's not enjoyable/thought-provoking for me, or anything I want to revisit.

And Faces of Death, I saw parts of it when I was a teenager...and though I know much of it is fake, I am not AT ALL into snuff-esque horror-as-reality, be it animals or humans.

I'm not disparaging anyone who likes any of it- like what you like, for sure. Just saying it's not to my tastes.

Stacie Ponder said...

Oh, but I do appreciate the suggestions, make no mistake. :)

Michael Grover said...

If I have to limit my suggestions to movies that are streaming on Netflix, I vote for the following, in no particular order:

The Sentinel - A New York apartment building harbors the gateway to Hell in this film by Michael (Death Wish) Winner
Slugs - J.P. Simon (Pieces) directs this gory adaptation of the infamous Shaun Hutson novel
C.H.U.D. - More New York horror, this time featuring mutants in the sewers!
The Living Dead Girl - Jean Rollin's bloody yet mournful French zombie film

Phantasmagoria said...

Funny that you mention Martyrs in this context, as i decided not to watch that one based on what i read about it...too hardcore for me:)

As for FoD, dutch horror/scifi mag SchokkendNieuws recently had an interview with the man behind it. He said it was all fake, except for the scenes in morgues and slaughterhouses (he mentions that these particular scenes made his movie actually popular with animal rights activists as images of how your hamburger was made were not commonly available back then).

Btw i hate it when movies exploit animals and usually watch versions with these images deleted...(the UK version usually cuts these). So hardcore, not really:)

Agreed on the depression inducing qualities of Henry, though it doesnt deter me from revisiting it once in a while. A very powerful movie with a stellar performance by Rooker.

Ok, another suggestion:)

Santa Sangre by Jodorowsky. Artsy, beautiful, violent, near overdose on symbolics.

Ryan Clark said...

I vote for Santa Sangre. It's a stunning film and DEFINITELY insane enough for this special occasion.


Mulholland said...

What about Mulholland Drive? No relation. It's not really a horror film in most respects but it is one of the best things ever.

Why are some posts, including the one for the film club list, dated as 1992? Did you get really nostalgic and time travel?

Stacie Ponder said...

RE 1992:

In the days before Blogger introduced "pages", I wanted to archive reference posts; I had to choose a "publication date" before I began the blog for reasons that are foggy now. So they wouldn't pop up amongst the regular posts or something? As to why I chose 1992 as the "publication date" or what the significance may be, I have no idea. Probably random.

Mulholland said...

I'm glad film club is becoming more regular again. As is posting in general around here at FG. As a long time reader I'm assuming this has to do with your LA induced horror fatigue diminishing.

Hurry up Shocktober 2012! Ever since I saw fall decorations go up at Rite-Aid I've been ready.

Stacie Ponder said...

Ha, thanks! I'm getting there. I was definitely burnt out for a long time.

And man h man, I gotta think of something to do for SHOCKtober! Ahh already!

Unknown said...

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. How better to celebrate #50 than with an all-time classic?

Michael Grover said...

Actually, TCM isn't a bad idea. It's not on Netflix, but it should be pretty readily available, and besides, every self-respecting horror film fan should already own a copy!

Darcy said...

This is not on Instant Watch, so maybe it's not a suggestion for Film Club, but have you ever reviewed The Toolbox Murders(1978)?
Woo, TCM!

Nik Holmes said...

Wooooh! Like finding money down the back of the couch, I come here KNOWING you had to put FG on hold, yet find a wealth of posts! Thankyou so much for returning! As for Film Club, I'd like to throw 'ClownHouse' into the ring if I may, not quite as 'hardcore' as some of the previous suggestions, but not a total cheesefest either (though they do make for my favourite of your reviews.)

spazmo said...

There is a companion film to Onibaba called Kuroneko, which I watched the other night.

Or maybe you could give one of Hammer's Quatermass movies a try, as you don't have any reviews under Q.

My strongest recommendation is Bava's Planet of the Vampires. It's so beautiful to look at and seriously chilling for its time.

Jeffrey said...

You should do Martyrs at some point so I have an excuse to tell everyone why Martyrs is such a terrible movie.

Stacie Ponder said...

Great idea! Can't wait to read it.