FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Apr 28, 2007

bits

Goin' off the rails on the Remake Train

Bloody-Disgusting
has the lowdown on a whole slew of remakes:

- The Last House on the Left, to be produced by Wes Craven himself, is shaping up to be "as scary but not as brutal". It's in the script stage at this point, so things could change, but the words "less brutal" will probably piss off a lot of people. Not me, however. Call me a bad horror fan if you will, but Last House is one of those films I've assiduously avoided. On the one hand, it's considered a classic and I should probably see it; on the other hand, I'm not into watching people get raped.

- Dante Tomaselli is slated to remake Alfred Sole's super-creepy Catholic-flavored slasher Alice, Sweet Alice. I have no problem with this, although I hope they keep the killer's outfit exactly the way it was in the original- it was really fucking scary.

Upon reading his name, I thought "Oh sure, OK, Dante Tomaselli"- then I looked him up on imdb and realized I've never seen anything he's made. I did learn, however, that's he's Alfred Sole's cousin, he saw Alice when he was young and it scared the crap out of him, he loves horror movies, and he casts actors from horror films past in his movies- people like Ellen Sandweiss (Evil Dead) and Judith O'Dea (Night of the Living Dead). This remake might be good, fingers crossed.

-It seems that Armand Mastroianni is interested in remaking his own film, the 1980 bridal slasher He Knows You're Alone. Err, ok.

I hate stuff, but then I love stuff

Head over to The Horror Blog to find out what crazy horror-related crap Roundtable contributors own that they'd like to be buried with. Gawd, I try not to get attached to stuff, but then...some stuff is just so cool, you know? What memorabilia is near and dear to your hearts?

Film Club's a-comin'

Remember, Monday's the day I'll be talking about John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. Watch it this weekend, review it if you have a site, contribute in the comments here if you don't. If you just sit there like a bump on a log while the Film Club does its thing, surely you will be a fool to be pitied.

8 comments:

Joseph Emmerth said...

The Last House on the Left remake is a bad idea. The movie's notoriety IS the fact that it is so brutal and uncomfortable to watch--even today. Remaking it and "toning it down" would be like remaking Todd Browning's "Freaks" --without any freaks.

spazmo said...

That's exactly right.
Rape and brutality are the only "horror" elements the original ever had going for it.
And that still wasn't enough to make it any good.

Although the more I consider it, the more I find the idea of remaking "Freaks" without any freaks a perversely intriguing notion...

Reese said...

I pity the fool who doesn't watch "Prince of Darkness."

M said...

Hi, Stacie! I wrote a review for "Prince..." here: http://gatochy.blogspot.com/2007/04/favorite-movie-scenes-24.html

The McGuffin said...

No "Prince of Darkness" viewing this weekend. I did watch "Halloween" for the 368th time. Does that count?

The scariest scene for me is when MM picks up the phone after strangling PJ and Laurie is on the other end of the line. Cue the close-up of MM, cue the music and cue the creepiness...oh lawdy mama cue the creepiness!

FatalPierce said...

I also gave "PoD" a shot and wrote a little bit about it over at my place here

Unknown said...

My review of Prince of Darkness is here

John Barleycorn said...

I fucking hated Last House on the Left. Honestly, it wasn't all that shocking, because I was mostly asleep. The pacing was terrible. The acting was atrocious. There was no story to speak of. Hostel is a better film, I'd say.