FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jul 24, 2007

news day

From the NOOOOO department:

According to imdb Pro (via Bloody-Disgusting), the working title for the sequel to Neil Marshall's The Descent is The De2cent...which we all know is pronounced "The Detwocent" and is just plain silly. So how do we all think this sequel will go? Will another group of hapless cavers get trapped and eaten underground? Will a group of paramilitary commandos head into the caves to do battle with the crawlers? Will the crawlers emerge from the dark depths and wreak havoc above ground? Will they try to assimilate in a wacky fish-out-of-water style comedy? The possibilities are endless!

From the YAAAAY department:

Director Christophe Gans is still "guiding" Silent Hill 2, but screenwriter Roger Avary is not attached to the film. I've got my fingers crossed for this one that the script is a little tighter...and by "a little" I mean "a whole hell of a lot".

From the OMIGOD CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP AUGUST department:


DVD Drive-In has the scoop on upcoming DVD releases, and can I just say that September is going to rock my face off? Check it out:

*Someone's Watching Me!- early John Carpenter with Lauren Hutton and Adrienne Barbeau

*The Hand
- who doesn't love a good disembodied hand story?

*Deadly Friend
- I know this Wes Craven flick is a stinker, but I was all over it in '86.

*Eyes of a Stranger
- I've been dying to see this slasher starring Lauren Tewes of television's The Love Boat, but the VHS is out of print and sells for approximately $5684930.

*The Burning- finally, an uncut super deluxe edition! Slasher fans rejoice!

*Food of the Gods- hmm...methinks me smells an animals run amok week a-comin'!

*Scarecrows- I've never seen this movie, but trustworthy people keep recommending it. I guess I'll finally see what all the hubbub's about.

*Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror- Yeah, the Joan Collins one! A two-pack of anthology flicks from the '70s? At the risk of sounding like Kool-Aid Man...OH YEAH!

From the NANCY WALKER department:

9 comments:

Joe said...

It seems we are n-sync today ;)
Did you see the cover for The Burning? PUKE!

Adam Ross said...

And did you see "Wrong Turn 2: Dead End" is coming out on DVD in early October?

The Trick said...

De2cent? I don't even know who's doing it yet, but I already hate it. I'll stick to the original

Jesse Hammer said...

Man, you're fast, Stac. I was just coming over here to ruin your day with that news.

Anonymous said...

Yay, Tales From the Crypt = the original Killer Santa flick, in which the wicked Ms. Collins is dispatched by ol' St. Nick.

Ben Monroe said...

De2cent? What a truly wretched title... How will one buy tickets for this film? "One for detwocent, please?" "I'm sorry, what movie do you want?" "Oh, forget it..."

Stacie Ponder said...

Jesse, I'm like an information ninja!

Adam, I'm anxiously awaiting WT2, though I won't be surprised if it stinks. I still can't decide if "direct to DVD" is a bad omen or not.

Joe- Yeah, The Burning cover is pretty lame. Why don't they just use something similar to the original poster art? Must be legal issues or something. Blecch.

Goose said...

I am under the impression that you cannot improve on the Descent. Two can only be a disappointment. But I am hoping.

Furious D said...

Hi, first time commenter here.

Putting a number in the middle of the name started with SE7EN, and it was also the last time it looked clever. But studio marketing people never met an idea they didn't want to flog to death.

If the producers were smart they'd make the mutants come up to live in a city sewer, rising to feed on the unsuspecting, and call it The Ascent.

Can even give it a nice tagline for the posters: Look what's popped up now.

I should be running a studio.