FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Nov 11, 2007

Hooray for theme weeks!

YES, KIDS, IT'S THEME WEEK TIME! ISN'T THAT AWESOME?

Beginning tomorrow, prepare yourself for AMICUS WEEK, wherein I'll post about...err...all things Amicus. For those of you not in the know, Amicus Productions was a British film company, perhaps best known for their anthology movies throughout the 60s and 70s- films such as The House That Dripped Blood, From Beyond the Grave, and many, many more.

Basically, if you're watching a British horror movie from that time period, ask yourself: "Is this film gothic-flavoured?" If the answer is "Why, golly, yes!", then you're most likely watching a Hammer film. If, however, you answer "Oh my heavens, no!", then that's an Amicus film, son!

With the recent release of the super-cheap Amicus Collection, I say the time is nigh for a little Amicus lovin'. More Cushing for the pushing! BOOM!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amicus? Man, I thought you were going to have a week dedicated to your ancient Roman boyfriend.

False advertising, say I!

Amanda By Night said...

The House that Dripped Blood is just great...

Nice choice for a theme!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gawd.

I love this shit, 2nd only to Hammer. And Ingrid Pitt. Guess that's 3rd. Still.... Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't "The House that Dripped Blood" with the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee? I've been meaning to see it since I've become quite keen on "Doctor Who"...

Squish said...

Final Girl! You gonna make it to Kurosaw-a-Thon on 15th to 22nd? you could stretch Throne of Blood into the Horror genre if you want :D

Squish's Place! (www.filmsquish.com)

Stacie Ponder said...

Joanna, I know not Doctor Who from a hole in my head. Except the one with a 'fro and the big scarf.

Squishy, I shall endeavor to try my bestest!

Anonymous said...

He was the one BEFORE Tom Baker, the one many yanks remember from PBS. Or, he of the 'fro and scarf.

Melizer said...

The only Doctor Who this Yank knows from PBS is Christopher Eccleston. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll wait for the Hammer films week. Lee & Cushing rock..

And Twins of Evil FTW!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Melz (BTW, is that Gatchaman Phantom in your AV with the infamous plunger?), he is one of my favorites, and I have been watching those episodes on PBS. Though way back in the '70s, those episodes with #4 made their way stateside and he's pretty much embedded himself in the US pop culture collective.

Also, I find that photo of the guy in the post to be hilarious...even more so when listening to the schlocktastic disco sound of Germany's Dschingis Khan. XD