FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Nov 6, 2007

Gotta hand it to the Film Club! Nyuk nyuk!

We all know by now that 1981 was a magical year for horror. After the Film Club successes of The Burning and Eyes of a Stranger, both from said magical year, I figure, why mess with a good thing? Let's keep the Film Club firmly ensconced in '81 for another go-round, shall we? It's time for...THE HAND!


Written and directed by Oliver Stone, starring Michael Caine, The Hand is a good old-fashioned yarn about a cartoonist who loses a hand in an auto accident, only to discover that his hand lives on and is totally homicidal. How can this movie NOT be the best movie ever? I mean come on. Says Stone about the props, "We had a crawling hand, a walking hand, a strangling hand. Each did something entirely different. They were really quite exciting."

I'll say! Bring on The Hand!

The film: The Hand
The due date: Monday, December 3

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked this flick, though I never remember Stone made it. I wonder how he feels about this movie now. Oliver Stone as a horror director - sounds kinda funny, huh? I'm surprised it's not about a disembodied hand on the grassy knoll (yes, the second shooter is a hand)...that sounds like a killer flick!

FatalPierce said...

Finally my love for movies and my love for puns will come in handy! Ugh, ok sorry about that one. I can't believe I've never heard of this one. I mean come on, who doesn't love a good severed hand story?

Joseph Emmerth said...

I guess it was the "useless" hand that went on to direct the rest of his movies.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Thing (from the Addams Family) is an assassin! Now THIS is a movie, people.

Anonymous said...

Dear God, how did I NOT know this movie existed? I must now seek out a copy. I second your assertion that there is no way this can't be the GREATEST movie ever. Ever since The Swarm, I find it necessary to seek out movies showcasing Michael Caine's insanity, and whether this movie is so-bad-it's-good or actually good, there's no way it can miss, right?

Goose said...

I remember when I first saw this movie. I was 12, and to a 12 year old it was oddly scary. Not so much now, but I was completely creeped out for days as a kid.
I cannot wait to see what all the fuss was about.

Anonymous said...

When I was little I thought a Giant hand lived under my bed. When I saw this movie as a kid I was kinda let down that the hand was only human size. I mean can't you just stomp on it? Now, knowing full well it's dimensions, I'm ready to give it another shot. I mean it is Micheal Cain's hand thats pretty scary at any size!

M said...

Here's a terrific giant hand story:

http://soaressilva.wunderblogs.com/archives/023349.html

Antaeus Feldspar said...

Whatever the merits of this movie, it has to be better than Stone's Seizure!