FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jan 15, 2008

It's that time again...

...time to choose another Film Club selection! The hills are alive with resounding 'huzzah!'s, I can tell. Film Club Fever will be at a record high as soon as the title of the next choice is revealed, I can assure you.

I'm revealing it....NOW!

Yes, my babies, it's The Manitou (1978), the film that brings together Tony Curtis, Burgess Meredith, and Stella Stevens to tell the story of...the story of...well...
When Karen (Susan Strasberg) tries to have a tumor removed, she discovers it's actually the deformed fetus of an ancient Native American shaman ready to be reincarnated. Soon, the evil spirit bursts forth, and Karen turns to a sham psychic (Tony Curtis) and a contemporary medicine man (Michael Ansara) for a showdown with the murderous creature.
I've been assured it's the best movie ever. I can't fucking wait to see it.

Clicken ze Netflix if you so desire. It's been somewhat recently released on DVD, so hopefully it'll be easy-ish to find. This selection can't get here fast enough...sometimes life is goooood, I tells ya.

The film: The Manitou
The due date: February 25

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack! I just watched this and it almost made my head explode. You're going to love it.

Anonymous said...

film club? i want to get in on this, what do i do?

Stacie Ponder said...

Kimberly, as if I weren't excited enough already, it gets the Cinebeats stamp of head explodening! AWESOME.

Sir Jorge, all you have to do is post about the selected film on the due date (making sure you link back to/mention Final Girl somewhere in there) and send me a link. I post links to everyone else's reviews in MY review, we all hold cyber-hands and it's dope. Check out yesterday's post and you'll get the gist of it. Hope you join in!

DirtyRobot said...

Sweet! I just screened a 16mm print in October, the crowd loved it!

Marty McKee said...

Naked Susan Strasberg shooting laser beams from her eyeballs = awesome.

John Barleycorn said...

I plan on getting drunk off Opa Opa IPA and watching this sans pants.

kindertrauma said...

MANITOU FEVER! I don't want no cure!

spazmo said...

Loves me my Manitou!!!

I once had a swelling on the back of my neck, and I prayed and prayed it would grow into a Manitou of my very own.

Sadly, it was just a mosquito bite.

Unknown said...

oh, sweet baby jebus! you're in for a treat. I won't say anymore lest I spoil anything. Solid choice. I can't wait for the review.

Bloody Mary said...

I might be the only one who hasn't seen this yet....

-Chris- said...

bloody mary, you're not the only one, but we may be the only pair...

Unknown said...

I've seen this playing on the movie channels on cable this month. i can't remember what channel. I'm guessing one one of the stars channels since I remember it being low down on the list.

PIPER said...

This sounds like just the movie to alienate friends and family. I'm in.

Miss the old header, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I was at dirtyrobot's screening and he's right. It was a blast!

Stacie Ponder said...

"Miss the old header, by the way."

Yeah, I thought maybe I'd change it up a bit for a while. What, are you saying you'd rather look at Anna Faris than at Charles Nelson Reilly? WTF, sir? W...T...F?

The Manitou is gonna rock the fucking house.

PIPER said...

Hey, don't get me wrong.

I wouldn't turn down a little sack time with The Nelson.

Anonymous said...

This film is 100% off its rocker. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. Seriously, it's fu*king wild.

Bloody Mary said...

Why, thank you, Silver Maple Leaf!

Okay, kids, it's on The Movie Channel this Monday, February 18th at 12:05 p.m., and if you're extra good, I'll let you stay up and watch it. (I'd expect that to be midnight but I believe it's actually at noon.)

I have that channel, and my TiVo, but no TV! Maybe I can beg, borrow, steal or build one before then.