FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Sep 19, 2009

of interest!

Boy oh boy, true believers, there's a lot of good horror stuff comin' down the pike. I say we all link pinks and spend the next couple of months gettin' our gorge on! Shocktober is so close I can smell it.

Wait, sorry...I think that's actually Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli.

Anyhoo, check out what's coming soon to a DVD near you! October 13th is gonna be a bank buster of a day.

Hardware (10/13)


This 1990 sci fi/horror cult classic (killer droid...'nuff said) is finally getting released in an unrated cut. Notice how every caca horror movie is "unrated" when the DVD hits, and it usually doesn't mean squat? Well, that's not the case with Hardware; those pesky Miramax folk chopped an X-rated flick up, but now it's restored to director Richard Stanley's totally cyber vision. Watch a preview right here.

Phantasm II (available now!)

Long out of print and hard to find...but no more! The Tall Man returns, wielding deadly flying silver balls in his quest to build a dwarf army that will do his bidding in a red-hued negative zone.

Wow, it sounds really dumb when I say it like that. We all know, however, that Phantasm rules! I've never seen this follow-up (or any of the sequels, for that matter). I'm psyched.

Happy Birthday to Me (10/13)

Ah, a decent edition of this decent 1981 slasher flick...most importantly, the original score has been restored- as has the cover art. Thanks, Anchor Bay! This one's worth a re-visit, I think.

The Stepfather (10/13)

Thanks to the TV show Lost, people everywhere are going all goo goo over Terry O'Quinn- we horror fans, however, say "Pfft!" to that. We knew he was awesome all the way back in 1987, when he got his psycho on in The Stepfather. Now that the film is finally going to be available on DVD, we can all feel even more superior when people are like, "Wow, have you seen The Stepfather? That dude from Lost is in it and he was acting all kill-y and ca-razy!", and we can be all, "Duh, old news. Now let's talk abut Jill Schoelen!"

Night of the Creeps (10/27)

Yup, I just talked about the shitty cover art on the DVD and Blu-Ray editions of this cult classic, but really, they're beside the point. The point is, Night of the Creeps is finally going to be out there! FINALLY! Tom Atkins! Yearrrrgh!

The House on Sorority Row (11/24)

Another one I've talked about recently, but it's worth noting again. I haven't watched this one since I reviewed it...lawd lawd, it's been years now! I can't wait to dig in. I know there are plenty of folks whose fancies aren't quite tickled by The House on Sorority Row, but I think it's a little gem. So there.

Look for reviews of these films- the one's I've yet to review here, anyway- in the coming weeks. It's a good time to be a horror fan!

Hey, remember that time I put my hat out for donations so I could complete filming Ludlow? Well, if you donated as a means to starting your career as a movie mogul (in addition to helping me out, of course), then I've got good news for you! Charred Oak Films is looking for backers for their comedy-horror short Always A Bridesmaid, and you- yes, you- can be a backer. Head over HERE to watch their pitch and learn how you can help make dreams become a reality.

And no, it has nothing to do with my trailer/short/whatever Deadly Dress 4: Never A Bride- I know you were dying to ask! me me me I'm sure their effort will be at least 66% less...well, less retarded.


11 comments:

Highly Caffeinated said...

this is what you want, this is what you get... man, I'm gonna be singing that all night...

FatalPierce said...

I may or may not have let out a very audible "Yes!" when I read about the release of "The Stepfather" just now... As I'm sitting in a restaurant in a grocery store this may or may not have gotten me some strange looks. I stand by my audible.

In unrelated news. Fuck yeah, Tom Atkins!

Elwood Jones said...

It's so surreal to see "Hardware" getting the revamped treatment, especially seeing how I remember it as a stright to VHS movie, that my dad picked up at some random service station. Funny how some films just spawn followings like this.

Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised to learn that you haven't seen the Phantasm sequels. Depending on how much you love the first film and want it left perfectly alone, the sequels add some real texture and depth to the ideas presented in the original. Phantasm II is where all that starts, so it definitely would be worth your while to check out.

Pokemon Postmon said...

Only last week I re-watched Phantasm 2, borrowing it from my friend's 8 year old daughter (one her fave films apparently!). It is a fun slice of horror hokum and I really need to see the original again now!!!
I did a review on my fledgling blog (If I'm being rude posting the address, please remove it! I won't mind) http://pikachupedometer.blogspot.com/
It's not a spot on this place tho'...:D

Verdant Earl said...

I'm pretty sure I saw Hardware in the theater when it first came out. I don't think it was a straight-to-video release.

Then again, I was drinking pretty heavily back in 1990. I still am, actually. ::hi::

Dark Side said...

OH NO YOU DIDN'T just whip out some HARDWARE goodness. This was an "I was obsessed with this movie in high school but couldn't get anyone to listen" experience for me back in 1990. Anyone who agrees, sing the "Wibberly-Wobberly Walk" song. PHANTASM II, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, even the origninal STEPFATHER... I think you're trying to give me a "Geekgasm" on purpose.

badgerdaddy said...

I love Phantasm II, it's actually my favourite of the series. No idea why. It's very slick, which doesn't usually appeal to me.

Hardware is most excellent.

And so's you know... I live in Ludlow.

Anonymous said...

I just watched Phantasm 2 this week, and tomorrow House on Sorority Row should arrive from Netflix. It went from really long wait to "on it's way!" in a day.

Outside of Happy Birthday to Me, I have fond memories of all these films. I am pretty sure I will pick up Hardware and Night of the Creeps in Blu. I remember when Hardware hit theaters there was controversy because it actually had an X rating where I lived.

The only reason I do not have fond memories of Happy Birthday to Me is I never saw the film.

Anonymous said...

I do have fond memories of seeing the package for Happy Birthday to Me at the video store. I love the look on that guy's face.

The Trick said...

I actually think I may have liked Phantasm 2 better than the original. But then I watched part 3 and it was godawful boring. I couldn't even bring myself to give 4 a chance anymore after that.