Sarah James of Scare Sarah likes to be scared, but she also enjoys scaring others. Does this make her perfect for horror blog ownership or insane...or both? No matter! For now, Sarah is...A Bloggenaire, one whose feelings on Adrienne Barbeau are cryptic! However, that's probably because she's from the U.K. They're a mysterious bunch.
1) What's the key moment that led you to click that "Start Your Blog" button?
My other half was being rather successful with their blog, so it was jealousy. Yes, that’s right, jealousy.
2) Please describe your blog in no more than 3 sentences. You must include the words / phrases "morbid", "aesthetic", and "electromagnetic".
I have always had a morbid fascination with blood, torture and electromagneticism. I find the red stuff aesthetically pleasing being a girly girl and all.
3) Bearing in mind that opinions are subjective (except mine because I'm always right), do you enjoy movies that are generally considered "bad"? Why or why not?
I do normally find a “bad” movie quite enjoyable. It makes me feel superior.
4) Did you know that there exists one variety of carnivorous parrot? It's true. They live in the mountains of New Zealand, and they eat the fat surrounding the kidneys of sheep- WHILE THE SHEEP ARE ALIVE. It's horrible.
Of course I fucking knew that.
5) What's the one- ONE- horror movie you love so much you want to stick it down your pants?
Halloween. It’s down my pants right now actually.
6) Adrienne Barbeau. Discuss.
I shouldn’t, but I do.
7) Why should people bother to read your blog?
If you read it I’ll do pretty much anything.
8) Where does Jigsaw get all the money he needs to build all those traps and buy all that warehouse space? Better yet, does he have some sort of engineering background? He must, right, if he designs all that crap?
I’ve seen him working weekends at my local Woolworths, before it closed down. Now he is begging.
9) Several theories regarding the reasons why people would subject themselves to watching horror films (when they're so, you know, traumatic) exist. Which is closest in line with your feelings on and reactions to the genre? Feel free to elaborate. Or don't, see if I care.
a) RELIEF THEORY: The unpleasant feelings of distress cause more stimulating feelings of relief when the unpleasantness passes- the stressed arousal caused by fear becomes pleasurable arousal later on.
b) CONTINUOUS REWARD: The excitement felt during the film is the appeal in and of itself.
c) SOCIAL THEORIES:
1) Stereotypical gender roles are reinforced: men act as protectors, women need protection.
2) Violating social norms- watching "deviant" entertainment- is exciting.
3) Experiencing heightened emotions with others makes us feel like we "belong" and we're truly part of a group.
C3 Now I know it’s normal to kill your pet and, uh…
10) Which year produced better horror movies: 1977 or 1981? Why?
How can you argue with Satan’s Cheerleaders? The oldies are the best.
11) What the eff is up with those French and their crazy horror flicks?
Are you being racialist?
12) What's your favorite Animals Run Amok movie?
The Fly. A fly and a spider. Ew, gross, right?
13) If Jason Voorhees is on a train heading east at 80mph and Leatherface is on a train heading west at 65mph…why the hell would anyone ever watch Rob Zombie's Halloween?
Serious answer alert. When you’ve seen a film you love so many times there is a part of you that wishes you’d never seen it so you can watch it again for the first time with something new. It did it for me. So shoot me.
14) What are your funereal wishes?
Crying and Cryogenics.
15) Why do I have such a fondness for Shelley Hack? It's not like she's really done much to deserve it, but there it is.
Because she’s hot, right? That’s why, right?
16) You're on a sinking ghost ship that's being piloted by a witch. What are your last words?
I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do, I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I do!
17) Asking about your funereal wishes and your last words means nothing, I swear.
Why, I got my eye on you!
18) Do you know where I can get some lye?
What do I get in return?
19) Weren't you glad when THAT JERK in THAT HORROR MOVIE got what was coming to him?
Yeah, the kid in the wheelchair in Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a right pain in the arse.
20) Overall, what’s your favorite era of horror films?
90’s. I love the glossy sexiness.
21) Would you rather be:
1) a vampire
2) a witch/warlock
3) a werewolf
4) a Frankenstein (and yes, I know technically it’s “Frankenstein’s monster” but “a Frankenstein” sounds better)
5) a Jaws
22) If you could turn back time- if you could find a way- would you take back those words that hurt me, so I’d stay?
I drove my tractor through your haystack last night. I threw me pitch fork at your dog to keep quiet. Now something's telling me that you've avoiding me. Come on now darling. You got something i need. 'Cause I got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key. Come on now, let's get together In perfect harmony. I got 20 acres and you got 43. Now I got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key.
23) What's something you want people to know about you or your blog that I didn't ask?
I’m winging it.
EDITED TO ADD: Sarah's got a DVD giveaway contest running on her site until March 5...so if her answers didn't make you want to click over to her blog, then perhaps your greedy nature will. PS - if her answers didn't make you want to click over to her blog, what's wrong with you?
Big thanks to Sarah! Kids, if you're a horror blogger and you want to be featured here, then read and find out how. Meanwhile, keep your dial set to Final Girl for another exciting episode of...THE BLOGGENAIRES!