FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

May 7, 2010

i'll probably regret this...

...but why not start SOMETHING ELSE?

You see, I was rummagin' around in mah drawers and what did I find?

I should note right now that I mean drawers drawers, not undies drawers. I hope that if I go rummagin' around in there I won't find any surprises whatsoever.

Anyway, I found pages from a couple of stick figure comic books I started many moons ago but never finished. One is not horror, but one is. It's called Birthday of Blood, and here's the deal: many MANY moons ago- like, moons before Final Girl started (yes, there was a time when this blog did not exist! Weird.)- I wrote a stupid short script for a slasher movie called...umm, Birthday of Blood. I intended to shoot it totally as a laugh, really for no one to see save the people involved. Now, when I say "a slasher movie" I mean "a slasher movie", like taking all the elements of the slasher flick formula and plugging them in Mad Libs-style. There's the Joker, the Slut, the Crazy Townsperson, etc etc. All your favorite archetypes and tropes in 20 not great pages!

Well, we shot some footage, including the [uh, SPOILER ALERT] exciting death of the Crazy Townsperson and the film's climax. We shot quite a bit, actually, but circumstances ultimately led to an unfinished movie. I don't even have the footage anymore, to the best of my knowledge...although who knows, maybe I'll find it someday during another rummage session.

I've thought many times about starting over with it, but...mehhhhhh. Not worth the effort. It's really not very good, and in the years since Birthday of Blood I've written other things that are better, that are worth the effort. But! To the point of all this, that Birthday of Blood stick figure comic I started. I guess I thought that stick figures might add a little something zesty to Birthday. Or maybe I was drunk. At any rate, I did a page or two, then quit when something more pressing came along. I shoved it in a drawer, blah blah blah, here we are today.

So, I'm gonna post up page one, and then I'm postin' up a poll. Should I continue this comic? If I do, I'll post one page a week, on Fridays, here at Final Girl. I'm not sure why anybody would say no- I mean, all you have to do in this endeavor is read it. Or not. But anyway, I'm torn...so I put it in your hands, which, again...I'll probably regret! As always, clicken ze big big.



11 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

I see a great many "Hell yes" replies in your future....

Creature said...

Goddamnit Stacie, you better finish this thing. There will be no rest for you. We will milk your creativity dry like a big thing you milk until there is nothing left of you. Then we'll demand more. More, I tells ya!

Stacie Ponder said...

Dang. Well, I guess I should take it as a compliment! I love that some people have answered "I don't really care", though.

Hooray!

Andrew said...

I wonder why some people voted just "Yes" instead of 'Hell, yes"? Do they want you to, but don't want to seem pushy? Do they want you to, but are afraid of commitment? Or are they extremely religious, and offended by the word?

Verification word- Sizai- Evil wizard in the court of Ramses II

Anonymous said...

I chose I don't really care. However, it isn't a negative. I am curious to see more, but I don't feel it is fair to demand you finish it.

CashBailey said...

Yeah, keep it up. I dig your stick cartoons.

Bill Walsh said...

Heck yeah, if it's fun for you and keeps your creative brain working. Although I'm not sure I want to see who's around that table…

Anonymous said...

I warned you against starting up an abandoned project again! I warned you! Now you're doomed! DOOMED!

Stacie Ponder said...

Aw, no one ever listens to the Crazy Townsperson!!

Anonymous said...

Sam-
People take you much more seriously if you whip out a human eyeball while doing that. You can borrower one from my collection...

or wait...is it that people take you LESS seriously with the eyeball? I can never keep that straight.

Tidal_Wave_17 said...

Wow, Stacie! Love the comic! It's so suspenseful, I have to see the rest! If you don't finish this comic, I will hunt you down and make you watch 'Don't Go in the Woods', and 'Ax Em''!