FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Sep 3, 2010

awesome movie poster friday - the 100th edition!

Siiiiiiigh. Yes, my friends, the post title gives it away: this is the 100th edition of Awesome Movie Poster Friday. That's a whole bunch of posters! Let's take a moment to agree with that last statement.

Okay, we're back. You know, every time Final Girl reaches some sort of landmark post I think about doing something big and exciting to celebrate. Like the site's recent-ish five fucking year anniversary- I mean, five years is a long time. I thought it was noteworthy enough to celebrate, but then when it came down to it...I didn't know what to do. What does one do to celebrate something like that? I guess one goes and congratulates oneself, but...eh. That seemed like too much effort or too jerky-off-y or something. In the end, I did a celebratory AMPF showcasing my favorite posters from AMPFs past whilst promising some big 5 Year Blowout, but that never materialized. I should never make promises! I promise I won't make them anymore.

So now here we are at the 100th AMPF, which I also think is noteworthy. If AMPF was a television show celebrating its 100th episode, I would probably be eating cake right now. Instead, I am not. Also, if AMPF was a television show, it would be really fucking boring.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to celebrate; my impulse would be to do what I did for the aborted fifth anniversary extravaganza. Here, I'll congratulate myself by referencing two of my favorite AMPF posts, which you can go read and mayhaps enjoy: the VHS Box Art Edition, part one and part two. I think some of the stuff I wrote in those posts is funny. There, I said it. See? Jerky-off-y.

I realize that I can't call this a proper Awesome Movie Poster Friday without posting some sort of art, so in keeping with the VHS theme, I now present some more delightful VHS box art. If this was any ol' AMPF and not the 100th edition, I would probably call this the HOLY CRAP I NEED TO SEE THESE NOW edition.

I'm not quite sure that "W" qualifies as a word, per se, but I am intrigued nonetheless. I am curious- what's going on in the high-rise dwelling of the negligée-clad woman? I'm already on board with this, but that oval "Starring TWIGGY" in the corner has me yelling CHOO CHOO.


Obviously, this would make a stellar double feature with And Now the Screaming Starts!- but even on its own...I need to know what those red flash warnings are all about!


Good thing she's in her underwear, otherwise I might not find an image of a giant cockroach killing someone sexy.


My reasons for wanting to see this quite DESPERATELY need no explanation.


Nor this. Man, Joan Collins teamed up with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Is there anything she can't do?


Is this wig shooting fireworks? It matters not. It's a wig. This box art says to me: horror movie about a Countess of some sort. That's probably not accurate at all, but it matters not. It's a wig!


Christopher Lee and Sybil Danning versus an evil albino? Please. This movie should live in my pants!


Hooray, 100! Here's to...well, more anyway.

14 comments:

Bill Walsh said...

Mazel tov, AMPF!

matango said...

W also has a pre-A-Team, pre-Battlestar Galactica Dirk Benedict.

Moorhead said...

Wow - Dynasty of Fear is working its magic on me, too.

MissSardonicus said...

I originally read "Dressed For Death" as "Pressed To Death" and I'm a little disappointed that it's not going to involve a wigged maniac ironing people to death.

Stacie Ponder said...

I did the same thing! :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah...umm, Albino (or Night of the Askari) is more of an action/thriller in Africa. Albino terrorist rapes/murders a guy's wife, guy gets revenge. With a shot of political commentary on British colonialism. Although Lee has a nice supporting role as an army commander..or something, it's been so long I can't remember.

Stacie Ponder said...

Aw, man. Well, I'll just have to keep imagining the movie I want it to be!

Lela Richmond said...

I wanna throw in my congrats on 100 AMPFs, as well as admitting that I too thought it was Pressed to Death. Someone needs to film Pressed to Death. Like now.

spazmo said...

Congrats on all your anniversaries (both observed and aborted), Stacie. Too bad they don't make customizable musical Hallmark cards, 'cuz I'd send you one that sounded like this:

May your days be merry and bright,
and may all your albinos be white.

Anonymous said...

W definitely has me intrigued. Great posters!
Dreaded Dreams
Petunia Scareum

A.J. Axline said...

That's the biggest inflatable cockroach sex doll I've ever seen.

To be fair, I'm working from a pretty lean sample base, but still...

W.B. Kelso said...

"When the Screaming Starts" while not Armondo Ossorio's best is still a mondo-demented good time.

A Tuetonic Supernatural Slasher, who knew?

http://www.bmp.stomptokyo.com/
3btheater/l/lasgarrosdelorelei
.html

The Portland Review said...

"Dynasty of Fear" is actually pretty great--it's very understated and has some genuinely creepy moments, and Miss Collins, of course, is pure gold. I mean, what else COULD she be?

Thomas Duke said...

I have "W" lying around somewhere (the movie with Twiggy, not the president dude), but I haven't watched it yet. The Nest (which I would always get confused with "The Nesting", which is quite good) is a rather boring cockroach movie, but it does have Canada's own Lisa Langlois. Come to think of it, I don't really care for the cockroach genre, except for the bit from Creepshow, which you just mentioned above. For example, I think Joe's Apartment should be punched in the face.