FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Oct 22, 2010

SHOCKtober: 207-183



Holy crap, we've hit the under #200 mark! Here are favorites 207-183, according to you. Yes, you, specifically. Don't you remember? Each film listed received FOUR VOTES.

207. Urban Legend -- 1998, Jamie Blanks
206. Pumpkinhead -- 1988, Stan Winston
205. Santa Sangre -- 1989, Alejandro Jodorowsky
204. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- 2003, Marcus Nispel
203. Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- 1956, Don Siegel
202. The Tenant -- 1976, Roman Polanski
201. Tremors -- 1990, Ron Underwood
200. The Hunger -- 1983, Tony Scott
199. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde -- 1931, Rouben Mamoulian
198. Theatre of Blood -- 1973, Douglas Hickox
197. I Drink Your Blood -- 1970, David E. Durston
196. King Kong -- 1933, Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack
195. Parents -- 1989, Bob Balaban
194. It -- 1990, Tommy Lee Wallace
193. The Keep -- 1983, Michael Mann
192. Hellbound: Hellraiser II -- 1988, Tony Randel
191. Freddy vs Jason -- 2003, Ronny Yu
190. Pitch Black -- 2000, David Twohy
189. Dressed to Kill -- 1980, Brian De Palma
188. Psycho II -- 1983, Richard Franklin
187. Dead Ringers -- 1988, David Cronenberg
186. Kwaidan -- 1964, Masaki Kobayashi
185. Angel Heart -- 1987, Alan Parker
184. Hour of the Wolf -- 1968, Ingmar Bergman
183. Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka Bay of Blood) -- 1971, Mario Bava

  • For my once upon a time Friday the 13th Blog-A-Thon, the always-excellent Kimberly Lindbergs wrote a piece at her always-excellent Cinebeats about the influence of Bay of Blood on the F13 series. Check it out.
  • Kinda thought Pumpkinhead would get a bit more love. On the flip side, I didn't really expect Urban Legend to get so much. I just watched that again recently, and the way Rebecca Gayheart gets all I'M CA-RAY-ZAY at the end cracks me up.
  • Oops, spoiler.
  • Why doesn't The Hunger work for me? It can't solely be because I dislike Susan Sarandon's hair in that film so very much.

10 comments:

Stars said...

four votes for Kwaidan!!!! YES!

Tracy said...

How the fuck did I forget about Tremors? Well, at least four other people didn't.

CashBailey said...

URBAN LEGEND?

Jesus Christ...

Stacie Ponder said...

I don't know if Urban Legend is on Jesus's list or not, but if it is, that would give it five votes.

Thomas Duke said...

If you're a goth lesbian, The Hunger makes perfect sense.

Or if you're me.

I like that Rebecca Gayheart reveal is shot in such a way that the picture is stretched, to make her seem crazier (and the black eyeliner that magically shows up on her face).

Anonymous said...

I remember when Rebecca Gayheart was shilling for Glitz beauty products (or something.) My sister kept calling her the Glitz ditz. Bwah haw!

I also remember The Keep being a big 'ol castle of mess. Wonder where I could find it to give it another try.

ArtAlmquist said...

There's my beloved "Psycho II"! Glad at least three other people had it on their lists. I saw it in the theatre at age 15, well before I'd seen the original. I had heard bad things from purist critics who were appalled at the very concept of a sequel. I ended up loving it, needless to say, and it got me to watch and love the original. Both films are on my top 20 list.

I gotta say, I still really love "II". Perkins is so good, Tom Holland's script wonderfully creative and brilliantly crafted, and Richard Franklin creates terrific suspense, especially in the final half-hour. I think it holds up remarkably well. I had heard that Franklin recorded a commentary for it which Universal never released; anyone else know anything about that?

Banned In Queensland said...

Psycho II made my top 20 also. It's just so much better than it ever had any right to be. It's shows complete respect for Psycho (also in my top 20), but has a brilliant, original, story of it's own to tell. It came out at a time when slasher movies were trying to out do each other with blood and gore, but the film-makers wisely kept Psycho II comparatively bloodless. And, the ending is a cracker.

Psycho II is, quite simply, the best horror movie sequel, ever. IMFIO.

Cody said...

HOUR OF THE WOLF! OH YEAH!

dementia13 said...

Urban Legend and Dead Like Me are the only things I've liked Rebecca Gayheart in, although I've got to say that I love her now that I know she's a crackhead. With Rick James dead and my sister leaving her husband, my "favorite crackhead" position has been vacant, and Rebecca Gayheart is there to fill it.