FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jan 20, 2011

The Thursday Bee

Hello, friends. It's time for this mid-afternoon edition of The Thursday Bee! (Bear with me please, I've had some sugar today)

Over at AMC, by bi-weekly Column with No Name continues apace as I talk about vigilante movies and some differences found in those with a male protagonist and those with a female protagonist. Check it out! It makes my heart happy. And the clicks make my editors happy. Oh, won't you let us be happy?

Today I noted- noted with interest, even- that I've got to pick another movie for the Film Club to get it on with. I choo-choo-choose...Frozen! It's one of those movies that "does for [fill in the blank] what Jaws did for swimming!". Some folks like it, some folks don't...but I say we Film Clubbers should check it out and decide for ourselves. It's on DVD and Netflix Instant Watch, so you have no excuses for not joining in. NONE. You probably know the deal, but if not...

The movie: Frozen (2010)
The due date: Tuesday (that's right, Tuesday), February 22
What you do:
  1. Review the movie on your site. Add a link to Final Girl in there somewhere. If you've reviewed the film before, that's fine- but you must retrofit your review with a link to FG to be included in my round-up.
  2. Email your link to me at stacieponder at gmail dot com. Put 'film club' or some such in the subject line.
  3. Bask in the warm, glowing, warming glow of Film Club Day. Easy, breezy, et cetera et cetera.
"This totally does for sitting here what Jaws did for swimming!"

Last night on The Scare-ening, I was joined by writer/director/cool person Jovanka Vuckovic. If you missed it, check it out here or on those "iTunes" the kids seem to like so much these days.

Some of you may be unaware that because I loves me some video games, last month I started a small video game blog called Jill Sandwich. I'm not saying you have to read it or anything, I'm just saying that it's there.

Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, this.

13 comments:

Jason Adams said...

When they jump-cut from the Kid's Meal to the Biggie Size unexpectedly I totally shit my pants.

GAAAHHHH I hated Frozen. Stupid people who wouldn't cover themselves up deserved to die! Die die die! See how I repeated the word several times? That makes it true.

Chris H said...

WHOAH!!! I just followed the link the to Jovanka Vuckovic website and I'm probably gonna have nightmares for weeks to come. That opening animation was creepy as hell!

Blake said...

Wow that Wendy's rap vid is amazing, thanks for that Stacy. It just proves what they always say: skinny blonde girls really are the most awesome rappers.

gord said...

How/why the hell did they stretch that out to 1:55?! That was painful.

Anonymous said...

I must say, I love how you constantly bitch and moan about people self promoting themselves yet suddenly you can self promote the heck out of yourself and it's O.K. Nice hypocrisy!

Stacie Ponder said...

Oh, Anonymous. I've talked much in the past about the "hypocrisy" of disliking the constant self-promotion machine of social networking sites, yet having to get out the word of one's own work. It's a conundrum and something anyone with a website, project, etc. must contend with. The point that I constantly maintain is that there's a way to do it and not be douchey about it. Whether or not I'm successful at that I, I'm not sure, but I try.

I will say that the one place I should let people know what I'm doing is...you know. On my own website.

Feel free to use your real name next time, yeah?

Thanks for reading!

CashBailey said...

This post does for blogging what JAWS did for swimming.

Actually, I think the origin of that hacky line was JAWS itself, when someone said that JAWS does for the ocean what PSYCHO did for the shower.

Still, it's hard to believe anyone could use that line in this day and age and keep a straight face. let alone put it on the fucking poster.

Thomas Duke said...

That Wendy's video gave me a boner. Now I will have to go out and rape somebody. THANKS A LOT STACIE!

I have not seen FROZEN, but this gives me a reason to check it out. I wonder if it is better than ICED, my favorite ski horror movie. That one has Wednesday from the ADDAMS FAMILY soaping up her boobs in a hot tub. I'd say the competition is stiff. He he. Sorry, nothing I said was funny. I formally apologize.

Anonymous said...

All my favorite raps contain the line "then hand that drink to the coordinator". Weird.
Frozen is on showtime or one of those channels now - I caught just a couple minutes of it a few nights ago. Definitely will watch it.
Stacie - I will check out your gaming blog, sounds sweet.
deb

Anonymous said...

You go ahead and pwn that anon. loser Stacey. :)

Anyway, my Wendys experiences have resulted in people whose first language isn't English working there and getting my order wrong...CONSTANTLY. I'd like to see a rap for that...

Dawn said...

i really liked Frozen. The wolves and the first dude...i gasped out loud. One of the most chilling things. My husband on the other hand hated it. He also thought they were all stupid deserved to die, die, die!!

matango said...

I like Cold Drinks, but Hot Drinks Really Get Me Going:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdcySIs2CQ8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IIve-t4bI&NR=1

StuartOhQueue said...

I loved "The Brave One" as well and also had those moments when the mindful side of me was hesitant to emotionally get behind Jodie's actions too much.

I think it's clear that the filmmakers were aware that the character crossed that line and the extent to which she does adds to the ambiguous and divisive morality of the films message.