FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Mar 9, 2011

Other people make things, too!

I have this friend named Brent Engstrom, and he's one of my favorite artists, straight-up. STRAIGHT-UP, people. He does sketch cards and illustrations for stuff you've heard of: Mad Magazine, Star Wars, Garbage Pail Kids, Wacky Packages...all the weird, twisted stuff I ate up as a kid, the weird, twisted stuff that was highly influential in making me the...person I am today. Brent's work is, as you might expect, largely weird and twisted and full of black humor. You know, kids with smiles full of rotten teeth and worms in their ears. In other words, awesomely delightful, and I love it.

He's got some horror/Garbage Pail-flavored mashup cards up on his blog. I'm posting only a couple; check out the rest and explore his site- lots of goodness abounds. And if you're in the market for a sketchcard or some such, hit him up. The dude can do anything!





9 comments:

Miskatonic said...

Garbage Pail Kids are one of the coolest things ever. Me love. It's good to learn more about this awesome artist!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know they still made Garbage Pail Kids!

Marcel Admiraal said...

Hey, very cool, indeed! I've been looking for an artist to do the cover of a satiric short horror story I wrote. Maybe I'll drop him a line.

Think I could afford him? ;-)

Marcel

Stacie Ponder said...

It's possible! Definitely get in touch.

If you still find yourself in need of an artist, consider heading to Digital Webbing's forums (digitalwebbing.com/forums). You can place want ads categorized by pay/no pay and check out/contact artists directly from art threads. It's where MANY comic artists and writers got their starts, including me! :)

They also publish (online) an anthology comic, so that's an option as well when your story is done. Good luck!!

Marcel Admiraal said...

Hey, thx for the tips, I'll definitely have a look. I'll post the updates on my blog.

Thanks again

Marcel
Floatingrobes.blogspot.com

Wilde.Dash said...

These are great, I definitely know someone who needs to be sent this link...stat.

Ulrich said...

"Awww"

^ It said in my head. I dig these.

TheKungFuProfessor said...

His artwork is bloody brilliant, did he work on the original Garbage Pail Kids trading cards from the 80's? Dead Ted was my favourite because it reminded me of Creepshow.

I've recently taken up drawing as a hobby so this is great eye candy for me, I’d love to be able to draw like Brent!

Stacie Ponder said...

He's a young'un, but his style fits perfectly with the original art. His website and all is worth a hug perusal...I just love his stuff! His Ewok cards crack me the hell up.