FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jan 30, 2015

Wherein I Say Things

Friends, Romans, non-Romans, lend me your hearing parts so I can blast some words from my mouthhole into your earholes! Even though given that this is a blog and not an assembly, it's more like I'm blasting words from my fingers (fingerblasting, yes, I said it) to your eyeballs but you know what I mean! But for real, lemme tell ya. I have been in a total funk for, like, too long, too many months, like more than a year. A year! And sadly, I don't mean "funk" like I have traveled back in time and now I am a member of Parliament. On the upside, I don't mean "funk" like body odor, either! (At least I don't think so, no one has dropped any hints like handing me some Secret or something, nor has anyone come right out and said "YOU STINK, TAKE A BATH." But I worry, I really do.) No, I mean "funk" like "the sads."

I'm not going to go into all the whys and whyfors of it, nor is this some bid for some "Please, DO cry for me, Argentina!" action. I'm only bringing it up because this Funk of At Least 40,000 Years has, amongst other things, meant that my work has majorly suffered across the board. And that work includes Final Girl! It's hard to create when you find that you no longer care. But I am trying to care, because I want to care, because I want to create.

So, I'm making changes to help myself along, which will in turn help the process along. One of those changes came earlier this week, when I fingerblasted (aw yeah) the Final Girl Facebook page right out of existence. Those of you who were a part of it may have known this already. I had some fun there for sure, but I've come to realize that overall, it contributed to my funk. Instead of writing something on Final Girl, like an actual review, I would simply take to Facebook and post, like, "This movie was pretty good" and that would be that. Some folks might comment. The end. What a cop out on my part! And so stuff continued to spiral into that funky ouroboros my life has been of late: I feel bad because I'm not creating, but then I'm not creating because I feel bad. It is the worst cycle, a real shit-fest penny-farthing of existence. Again, this is where fingerblasting (I'm just going to say it as much as possible apparently) Facebook comes in. I'm breaking out of that "but if it's not on Facebook no one will know" box I'd put myself in, with a "well then who fucking cares, I'm just going to do this because I want to, and if no one knows then tough shit for them." I hope it helps. I think it will.

To help kick off this "fuck off, funk" thing I'm trying, I say let's have an event. Starting Monday, let's have...


VHS Weeks are always a lot of fun. This one should be no different, and it's not going to be one of those lame-ass five day "week"s, either. We're talking seven days of hot, hot videotape action! Here's the lineup- now don't go getting so excited that you don't sleep all weekend in anticipation!

MONDAY: Shadow Dancing (1988) - I don't know that this one will be "horror" per se, but I can't wait
TUESDAY: Valentine (2001) - I know I've seen this, but I don't remember a thing about it
WEDNESDAY: Nude for Satan (1974) - FINALLY
THURSDAY: Leviathan (1989) - I just love the fact that "underwater horror" was a thing for a while
FRIDAY: Dagon (2001) - can't believe I haven't seen this one yet
SATURDAY: Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) - ditto
SUNDAY: Q- The Winged Serpent (1982) - FUCKING DITTO

That's a sweet-looking bunch of movies, no? YES. A little something for everyone, or at least for all the awesome people.

Okay then. I hope to see you around these parts more often! As always, thanks for reading, you're the knees.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

You had me at "Nude for Satan." I can't believe I haven't seen Dagon either. I usually try to please Lord Cthulhu in every way.

I'm glad you're back, and I hope all the good feels come back to you!

Fingerblast.

Stacie Ponder said...

I really can't believe I've never seen Dagon. I mean, it's Lovecraft + Stuart Gordon + Dennis Paoli! That's an unholy trinity for sure.

Also,you've inspired me to think about signing off with "Fingerblast!" all the time, kind of like Stan Lee does with "Excelsior!"

And thanks! :)

the Trash Man said...

Those last three films are the single best fucking way to end a week. Incredible line-up all the way through, but man, Q the Winged Serpent...

AE said...

I've seen none of these BUT Dagon! This is going to be a great week (and Dagon is the best, omg).

So sorry about your funk. I hope watching movies helps. You love watching movies!

Stacie Ponder said...

That is excellent to hear. People 'round these parts have been telling me to watch Q forever...it's about time I obliged and indulged!

Stacie Ponder said...

"You love watching movies!"

Ohhh YEAH! Hey, I do! This should work out just swell.

Beyond the Wall of Sleep said...

Good thought saving Q for last. It'll make up for how terrible Dagon and Brotherhood of the Wolf are!

originalslugboy said...

Originalslugboy likes this.

Michael Perridge said...

Welcome back. You've been missed. Getting off Facebook is always the best thing to do if in a funk. Enjoy everything!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

An excellent list. Who doesn't love underwater horror, especially when it comes with Peter Weller?

Diandra said...

Wishing you the best!

Stacie Ponder said...

Thanks!! :)

Eliot Blades said...

First of all, sorry you're in a funk.

But secondly, several of those movies were expertly crafted to destroy funk stone cold dead.

Shit Movie Fest said...

I always fit in a viewing of "Valentine" along with both MBV (80s and Remake) this time of year.
It's an fine Slasher, but I wish it followed the book by Tom Savage more!

Mark Simmons said...

As noted above, watching "Dagon" and "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and "Q The Winged Serpent" back-to-back should be an excellent anti-funk prescription. Might try it myself!

P. K. Nail said...

So good to see you posting again! I LOVE Brotherhood of the Wolf and Q The WInged Serpent (in very different ways) -- can't wait to read your fingerblastings on them.